MIT RIPPE UND ROLLE

 
 
40,00 €
SKU: 202
Ulrike Voelcker
MIT RIPPE UND ROLLE
Bochum (D) 2010, 136 pp., 29.7×21 cm, hardback
Text: German, English
 
 
When Ulrike Voelcker produces a book with a title which means next to nothing to most of us, we can be sure that it is about something rather exotic. And lo and behold! We are not disappointed. Here problems are solved which 80 % of lacemakers have never had; the other 20 % may well have waited eagerly for this book.

It is about an extra technique for use in Honiton, Duchesse and Withof Duchesse lace. All those who have worked with one of these techniques can profit from the observations in this book.

The solutions are not simple ones: In detail and with her accustomed exactness, Frau Voelcker explains the problems which can arise when working with ribs and rolls. (By ribs and rolls are meant the pairs at the edge which form a raised relief or which are carried on together in a bunch). As in all Frau Voelcker's methods, the criterion here is: which method makes the finished work look best? This gives rise to further questions: where do ugly holes tend to appear? How can they be avoided? Where does one make the sewings? Where can the pairs be tied out as invisibly as possible? How does one make the transition from the rib or roll to the flat part of the lace? How does one work beautiful curves?

The technique section has 37 pages and its theme is the basic problems of these methods. However, it is hard to keep track of so much method all at once and sometimes you have to look hard before you even find which diagram is meant.

A lot of explanatory text with diagrams and photographs. As these kinds of lace are traditionally worked with very fine thread, the many enlargements are particularly helpful. However, if you forget tradition and let yourself in for "new lace" à la Ulrike Voelcker, the result worked in "Gloss" still looks good and at the same time you have been kind to your eyes.

The pattern section which follows includes 38 patterns, all of which can be worked both with Honiton, Duchesse or Withof Duchesse techniques and by using the rib and roll techniques described at the front of the book, which you then must have worked through already. The patterns are arranged in order of difficulty. The first three are marked as relatively simple but there are at any rate 14 patterns at the next level of difficulty.

The patterns are for entire plants, flowers, scrolls and ornaments and there are two for straight lace. Many were clearly inspired by Art Nouveau. This beautiful lace makes no secret of the complex techniques required to make it.

For all those who are not put off by a challenge and for those who are still looking for the perfect solution to technical problems in modern lacemaking.